Coffee that has been matured in retired liquor barrels such as whiskey, bourbon, and rum barrels is known as barrel aged coffee. The coffee beans are matured in barrels for several weeks at a time, gradually gaining taste. It was going to be a coffee renaissance, with hundreds of new coffee drinks being produced, each one more intriguing than the last.
People were looking for varied possibilities in the same way that everyone makes their coffee in their own unique way. A cup of old coffee was discovered. Here are some guidelines for brewing.
- 1.5 cups Clout's Rum Barrel-Aged Coffee beans, coarsely ground
- 2 cups aged rum
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- .5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the coarsely ground, Rum Barrel-Aged Clout Coffee and aged rum in an airtight container with a tight seal. Shake gently and store in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks. Gently shake every few days.
- When ready, strain the mixture using a filter or cheese cloth, squeezing the bag/filter to extract all liquid. Discard coffee and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and water in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk constantly to dissolve sugar. Once sugar is dissolved, turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk vanilla extract into brown sugar simple syrup. Pour Clout Coffee-infused rum into simple syrup and stir to combine. Pour liqueur into clean, airtight container. Seal and refrigerate until ready to use.
Please note: The liqueur requires 3 weeks of steeping time before using.
Yield: 2.5 cups